Acne During Pregnancy
You were hoping for a beautiful, healthy glow, but instead you found your skin is rebelling during pregnancy. Blame it on hormones. When your hormones are at an all time high, your skin produces more sebum (a natural oil). The additional oils can block pores and create bacteria, which essentially causes acne.Jump To Full Article Below
PIMPLES AND PREGNANCY
Congratulations, you’re pregnant and you feel like a teenager again. Crazy hormones. Acne. Good times. Unfortunately, due to hormonal changes, your body is secreting more oil than ever before. And if you hadn’t noticed, your hair is changing, too. Pregnancy is causing your hair follicles to shed skin cells. Combine these additional oils and skin cells, and you have the perfect recipe for blocked pores.
If your acne is more than you can handle, check in with your doctor or dermatologist. While most prescriptions cannot be used during pregnancy, there are still some safe acne treatments available. Just be sure to tell your doctor that you’re expecting.
In the mean time, your hormones will eventually get back to normal after your baby is born. And there are several helpful solutions for pregnancy acne.
How can I prevent acne during pregnancy?
- Be gentle: While you may want to scrub your skin free of pimples, fight the urge. Rubbing it can cause redness, and you guessed it, more problems. Use a gentle cleanser twice a day and an oil-free moisturizer. Use your hands to wash your face, and gently pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
And while it’s tempting, do not squeeze or pop those pimples - you’ll find yourself with a red face and probably more acne than before.
- Rethink your make-up: To keep acne during pregnancy in check, try cosmetics that are noncomedogenic or nonacnegenic. This kinder, gentler make-up won’t clog your pores.
- Keep clean: Washing your make-up brushes and other tools keeps your skin free and clear of additional bacteria. You wouldn’t wash your face with a dirty towel. The same applies to your brush kit.
- Eat well: Good food equals good skin… and a healthy baby to boot! And while you’re eating all of that healthy food, be sure to drink lots of water for a dewy complexion.
- Be safe: There are hundreds of over-the-counter and prescription products designed to deal with acne, but remember your baby’s safety comes first. Always ask your doctor or caregiver what you can and cannot use.
RECOMMENDED SOLIDEA SOLUTIONS:
Our skin care products are carefully selected to provide safe, gentle and effective treatment of acne during pregnancy. You’ll find soothing ingredients designed to keep your skin looking great… naturally.