Tired, Aching Legs
After a day of sitting or standing, do your legs feel heavy and sore? Tired aching legs occur when we’re on our feet all day, or stuck sitting in one position. Our calves, believe it or not, act as blood pumps. When the muscles contract, they help send blood in our legs back to the heart. When our calves don’t move, blood can pool in our leg veins, causing leg fatigue, swelling and vein issues.Jump To Full Article Below
TAKE THE PAIN OUT OF TIRED ACHING LEGS
Heavy tired legs can be signs of poor leg circulation and weak veins. Blood circulates continuously throughout your body - and your legs have to send blood up to the heart, working against gravity. That’s why leg veins are equipped with one-way valves that keep blood flow on the up and up.
Think of veins as your plumbing system. Like the pipes in your house, not all valves are as tight as they should be. Sometimes they even leak. Yes, you can often blame the homebuilder, or in this case, the people who made you: mom and dad (or their genes, anyway).
What causes your legs to ache?
If you often experience aching, sore legs or swollen ankles after prolonged sitting or standing, your leg veins aren’t working as efficiently as they could be. Weak leg vein valves can cause blood to build up in your leg veins. Under the increased blood pressure, your leg veins can bulge, buckle and contort, leading to varicose veins and spider veins. That’s why it’s important to keep blood moving.
How to prevent tired aching legs?
Doing everything you can now to improve leg circulation and relieve tired legs can help prevent symptoms, like swelling, throbbing or aching, from getting worse.
- It’s your move: If you’re vain about varicose veins - and who isn’t? - one of your best defenses is to get your rear in gear with regular physical activity. Walking is especially helpful in treating sore legs and venous insufficiency, because it keeps the calf muscle engaged. Walk 30 to 40 minutes a day.
- Break the habit: If you’re always standing or sitting at work, take frequent breaks, even if it’s just a quick walk around the block or to the water fountain. If you’re stuck, exercise your calves by flexing and pointing your feet.
- Give yourself props: Take the immediate sting out of tired aching legs by elevating your legs above your heart for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Think heart-healthy: What’s good for the ticker is good for the entire circulatory system. Maintain a healthy weight; quit smoking; cut back on salt; drink alcohol moderately; and eat a diet rich in fruits, nuts, beans, vegetables and fiber, and low in refined carbohydrates and saturated fat.
- Make over your wardrobe: Get rid of tight pants, non-graduated compression support pantyhose or tights, and non-anatomically shaped shapewear and girdles without graduated compression. They can cut off blood flow and make symptoms worse. If you’re scratching your head wondering if your hosiery complies, then that’s most likely a “no.”
- Give your legs a lift: Wearing graduated compression stockings, knee-highs or pantyhose whenever you’re going to be sitting or standing for more than an hour or two is essential in preventing tired aching legs and varicose and spider veins. They apply continuous upward pressure to the legs, so blood flows more easily. All of Solidea’s products are made with graduated compression.
RECOMMENDED SOLIDEA SOLUTIONS:
Solidea is reinventing the support hose genre with its elegant collection of Italian-made legwear and shapewear. All of our products provide a flawless finish while delivering blissful relief from tired, aching legs and leg vein symptoms. Solidea support thigh highs, support knee highs, support pantyhose and unisex compression socks are sexy, sleek and enhanced with the most modern technology.